The last of the snow has melted (we hope), the grass is green again, and the trees are in bloom. Surely that means spring cleaning is upon us!
In an effort to make this “Spring Cleanup” a fire safe one, the Grand Traverse Metro Fire Department offers the following safety tips:
- Clean your garage of stored newspapers or other rubbish that can fuel a fire. Newspapers stored in a damp, warm place may ignite spontaneously.
- Change batteries in smoke alarms, flashlights and carbon monoxide detectors.
- To help prevent nuisance alarms, gently vacuum your smoke alarm every six months or as needed.
- Never borrow smoke alarm batteries to use for toys or other equipment.
- Replace all smoke alarms every 10 years or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Check your electrical fuse box; make sure you have the proper fuses.
- Keep outdoor debris or dead vegetation away from the house.
- Properly dispose of oily or greasy rags. If these items must be stored, they should be kept in labeled, sealed, metal containers.
- If you store gasoline, keep it outside your home in a shed or detached garage. Keep only small quantities in tightly sealed containers. Use gasoline only as a motor fuel – never as a cleaning agent.
- Always store paint and other flammable liquids in their original, labeled containers with tight-fitting lids. Always store them at least 18 inches from appliances, heaters, pilot lights and other sources of heat or flame.
- Use outdoor barbecue grills with caution. Place in a safe area away from building, windows, heating, ventilation and air conditioning units or places with high/dead vegetation.
- Never use gasoline to start the fire, and don’t add charcoal lighter fluid once the fire has started.
- Use barbecue grills outside only – not under overhangs or balconies, and away from combustibles.
- Check your propane barbecue grill hose for leaks and cracks; never store propane indoors.
If you have any questions or would like clarification on any fire safety tips please call Grand Traverse Metro Fire Department at 947-3000